Tuesday, March 29, 2011

31 Years Later

Today my parents celebrated their 31st anniversary. This year, my mom's parents will celebrate their 58th anniversary on October 10th, and my dad's parents will celebrate their 64th anniversary on January 11th. I am so thankful for the blessing of marriage that God has allowed to pass down from generation to generation in our family.

Now, nothing about my parent's marriage has ever been reflective of Hollywood's portrayal of love and marriage (thankfully!), so I find it quite ironic that one of the defining stories of their relationship was picked up and aired by Weather Channel's Storm Stories last year. Part of the hour-long documentary can be found in the video links on this page, and though it's not the full story, it gives a good glimpse into the basic details of the flood - an event that could have certainly claimed the lives of the only two people in this world that had the potential to create me.

But quite obviously, God had a different plan in mind for my parents. One in which they would live long enough to not only marry and have their own children, but also to know their own grandchildren. One in which they would choose to stay committed to each other through the good, the bad, and everything in between. I am so thankful for the way they have modeled their love, their affection and their marriage covenant before L and me. And I am so grateful to be challenged with the task of carrying on this legacy to my own children and (Lord willing!) seeing them continue to pass it on to their own children one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment