Monday, November 22, 2010

Perspective

I think I've been approaching Day 3 with the wrong perspective. Though I fully believe the details and timeline of the day are important, simply telling it from that perspective is not working. So I'm going to try a different tactic for now, and then maybe go back later and write down a timeline.

There were many themes of Day 3. One was certainly Deuteronomy 7:9 - "Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands." Another was Isaiah 25:1 - "O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago." Again and again, we came back to Jeremiah 1:5a - "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you."

L and I both trusted God to be faithful. In fact, just days before the storms began, we were sitting on our couches having a conversation about how we knew that no matter what our future circumstances would become, we would be able to trust that God would provide and continue to be faithful to us because of how much he has proven His faithfulness to us up to this point. Of course I had no idea of what was to come in the days ahead. And though admittedly I was speaking those words in the context of earthly comforts - a home, food, clothes, etc. - it is has been no less true in our current situation.

Sometimes the only thing I could say back in texts, emails or messages to friends and family offering comfort were the simple words, "God is Sovereign." Though it didn't answer the question of "why," it pointed me to a better question of "Who is in control?" Isaiah 45:11-12 says this: "Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed [Israel]: 'Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands? I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host.'"

So as I consider Day 3, the only thing I feel that is truly worthy to write about is the faithfulness, the goodness, the mercy, the marvelousness, and the sovereignty of the LORD that was evident in every moment of that day. We had so many questions of how God would accomplish His good and pleasing and perfect Will that day, and I am going to attempt to answer as many of those questions as I can over the next few days. I pray that in all these things God will be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment