Monday, November 22, 2010

How Long, O Lord?

Our doctor certainly prepared us for a waiting game. Because I was being induced, no one could tell us exactly how long it would take for our baby to be born, much less how long my total stay at the hospital would be. So many factors were in play that simply depended on how things progressed (medical viewpoint) and the mercy of the Lord (Christian viewpoint). We were told to expect delivery to be as early as Friday afternoon or as late as Saturday morning, and that we would hopefully be able to go home by Sunday morning at the latest.

As I laid in the hospital bed, many of my tears were dedicated to asking, "How long, O Lord?" Each time the nurse or doctor checked my progress during the night, the news was pretty depressing. So when our little baby arrived with no prior signs or signals at 4:55am on Friday, November 19th - less than 7 hours after the induction began - everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was shocked. And we thanked God for his mercy in allowing our little baby to come quickly.

The remainder of the process progressed fairly quickly and naturally as well, and at 10am, my husband squeezed my hand, kissed me and said, "It's done." The doctor gave us confirmation around 11am that indeed everything was complete, and that he wanted to now watch me for four hours as I recovered. And then, if I was doing well, I could go home!!!

God continued providing faithfully, and at 4pm that afternoon, we were released directly from the Labor & Delivery wing to go home.

Looking back on the timing of things, I guess I might should feel as though the day rushed past. Less than 24 hours is a short amount of time to be sure. However, although every moment of the day came mercifully quickly, moments such as time alone with our little baby seemed to freeze as we were allowed to take it all in. I have no regrets as I think about the events of that day, no take-backs, no do-overs, nothing that I would have wished differently. How incredibly gracious God was to us is pretty incomprehensible as I consider these things. Praise Him! He is good in all He does!!

"I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul will make its boast in the LORD; the humble will hear it and rejoice. O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together. I sought the LORD, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces will never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them. O taste and see that the LORD is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! O fear the LORD, you His saints; for to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; but they who see the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing. Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. Who is the man who desires life and loves length of days that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry." ~Psalm 34:1-15

No comments:

Post a Comment