Sunday, October 11, 2009

Welcome Back to Planet Earth

Last night, L and I had our first argument since our three-day excursion to ATL. At my parents house. I was, as usual in an argument, trying to explain why I thought I was actually right about this particular point.

Me: I don't think you understand what I am saying. (silence) Do you? (silence) L__, why are you ignoring me?
L: I'm not ignoring you, I simply don't have anything to say right now.
Me: (Um, that sounds like ignoring to me)
Me: Well, I'm trying to have a conversation, and it's not much of a conversation if you're not saying anything back.
L: Well, sorry. What do you want me to say?
Me: (Ugh! I don't want you to say what I want you to say. I want you to say what you are thinking!)
Me: (Be nice. Parents are listening. New tactic.)
Me: When you say "x", it makes me feel "y."
L: Well, I'm sorry. I don't mean it that way.
Me: (Duh.)
Me: But it makes me feel that way.

L: Well, I apologize. That's not what I meant, and I will try hard not to say that again.
Me: Thank you.
L: You're welcome.
Me: I forgive you.
L: Thanks. I forgive you too.
Me: (Forgive me for what!?! I didn't do anything.)
Me: (Be nice. Parents are still listening.)
Me: Thanks.

3 comments: