Friday, October 16, 2009

From the Mouth of Babes: The Five Pillars of Islam

We had dinner with some of our very best friends tonight, who have three boys, the eldest of which is 9 years old. He's a kid that is so wise beyond his years, and has a humongous heart for the Lord. All of the boys do.

Tonight we were sitting around the table and H (the nine-year-old), was giving us a lesson in Islam, sharing with us some of the things he's been learning about the five pillars of Islam in his class at school. As I tuned in to what he was saying, I learned this:
1. Muhammad is the messenger of God
2. Muslims must fast during the month of "Ramada"
3. They have to give "Iams" to the poor
4. They pray to god ("little g") five times a day
Honestly, I got so tickled I didn't even hear what he said the fifth one was. I was also praising the Lord for the obvious Godward-ness of this little one's heart.

E had some really sweet times with the boys too. She absolutely adores their youngest son to pieces; they've even come up with their own little nickname for each other. My heart melted tonight when I turned away from cooking to spy one of the boys stroking E's hair and reading a book to her on the floor. I'm looking forward to E having three "big brothers" to be there for her through this life, and I love that E has such incredible examples of the heart of a Christian boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment