Thursday, October 1, 2009

God in a Box

We're finite beings, so it is absolutely totally against our human nature to conceive of an infinite God. We simply cannot fully grasp that quality of his nature. If, at any given moment we are able to define and control "infinite," then either "infinite" would cease to exist and become irreversably "finite" or we would become God because of our all-knowingness. It's a concept that's been swimming around in my brain for a while: infinite-ness is one of those characteristics of God that shadows the full image of God.

So though it should be ridiculous to even consider placing an infinite God in a humanly-conceived box, we still do it - dare I say we must do it. We can't help it - and God knows and accepts us even in that. Some people's boxes may be a little smaller than others, or have different exceptions than others, but everybody perceives God, at least at some point in their lives, with limitations. Whether they do this on purpose or because of ignorance may be the only distinction.

I realized today that I was limiting God in my own ways. I'm a Martha-hearted girl in many areas; doing comes much more naturally than being. When I see or define a goal in my personal or professional life, I am much more inclined to lay out the steps needed to achieve that goal and then start checking them off the list than I am to simply lay it at the foot of the cross and trust God to move on my behalf in a way that would bring Him the most glory.

Today, God - like the ultimate chess player that He is - decided to move His "castle" instead of the "pawn" that I was expecting/anticipating. I had to take a step back in absolute awe of how incredibly inconceivable his workings are, and how much he truly cares for me and is moving on my behalf right now, not to mention how much more control He has than I had imagined in my little "box" that I had built around him. Now that box is stretched a little bit more in that area, and the God that I know and love today is a little bigger today in my finite head than He was yesterday. He is always and forever the infinite God who sits on the Throne in Heaven; just because my vantage point is limited by my humanity doesn't change that. But praise Him that He cares enough for me to allow me each day a bigger glimpse of that glory, even with my limitations!!

1 comment: