Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Introducing: Disney Princesses

As we’ve broken into the full-length feature Disney/animation movies, I’ve been intentionally shying away from the ones with a “Princess” theme. Now, don’t get me wrong, I loved these movies as a girl (and still do), but I don’t know...I guess I just don’t want these movies to be the first influence over E’s heart and mind about what a princess “really is.” She’s already asking questions to her daddy like, “Am I cute?” and making comments about things being “pretty,” so I’m already feeling a few steps behind in the way of leading her to see beauty from a Godly perspective. Disney Princesses are surely not going to be helpful in supporting that kind of biblical worldview.


Nevertheless, her daddy inadvertently asked her if she wanted to watch “Beauty and the Beast” the other day, as it was on top of a stack of movies at the cabin. (He's now forgiven). I glanced his way and gave him the one-eyebrow raise as if to say, “Are you really sure you want to do this now?” But she’d already said “yes,” and since it has been offered, we decided to let it play out.


She, of course, loved the animation, loved the songs, loved every aspect. UNTIL the Beast appeared on the scene. I’d forgotten that in order to have a beauty to be rescued, there must be a villain inspired into plot. And though the Beast is certainly redeemed in the end, he is clearly very frightening in the beginning. So, after about thirty seconds of watching the Beast, E turned to me and, in the tiniest little voice, said, “Mama, Care Bears?” At which point I breathed a sigh of relief and said, “Absolutely, dear. Care Bears is a great choice.”


Saved by the villain this time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment