Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ugh. Technology.

I'm going to take a minute to rant about something totally insignificant from a kingdom perspective, but that totally pervades the temporary: my cell phone.

I'm a "Blackberry" girl - granted, only until iPhone goes to Verizon. Got one a year ago when I started a new job, and haven't looked back. It's annoyingly convenient to be able to take your digital "life" with you wherever you go.

Yesterday, though, my phone's keypad totally went out - in the middle of the day, with no warning. Mind you - this phone has been dropped, kicked, chewed on, tossed, dropped, squeezed, dropped, rained on, dropped...and did I mention, dropped? It's a phone. I have a two-year-old. Case closed.

But despite all of the trauma it's faced, it has continued to work faithfully. Until yesterday, at which point it had apparently gathered the support of my entire keypad, and everybody went on strike.

This would have been incredibly frustrating on a normal day. When your husband is in Egypt, you're planning to go out of town in the morning, your child will be with your mom, your dog with a friend, and a dinner date with some friends who don't know your phone isn't working...frustrating doesn't even come close. Adding insult to injury, I had to go by the Verizon store. Even worse was when the "customer service" lady on the opposite side of the counter, after commenting on how tired my child must be (because she's cried since we walked in the door), announces that in fact she cannot help me because I have obviously caused extensive damage to the phone and must therefore file an insurance claim instead. I cried with my tired child as we left the store empty-handed.

Thankfully, insurance was happy to help after I paid a $50 deductible (which to me is like paying a $4000 deductible on a car damage claim...totally ridiculous) and $20 to ship next-day so that MAYBE it would be delivered before I left to go out of town.

I'm so glad there won't be cell phones in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment