Thursday, November 5, 2009

On the Road Again

Every year I say the same thing: "We are not going to be as busy this year as we were last year." Every year the same thing happens: We are as busy as (if not busier) than we were last year. It's a total conundrum. I feel like I am saying "no" to more things than I ever have. I feel like I am saying "yes" to things that really matter. I am trying to be sure that I make time for myself (and have consequently started working out again at 5:30am after about a month-long break). I am trying to give my husband the opportunity to go be a guy when he needs it as well. I am trying to make sure that we somehow squeeze in some quality time to be a family in the midst of all the other things I'm trying to do.

And it hit me this past week that between September 19th and December 31st, we are going to spend exactly ONE full weekend as a family in our own home. That is totally unacceptable, but unfortunately, our fault. We are cutting things left and right to be able to carve out these precious times that we will never get back. We are apologizing to people and backing out of commitments that we had previously made. It feels (sometimes) like I am a horrible friend to the people that I love because I am unable to commit to fun things like showers and birthday parties and hanging out on the weekends.

This weekend, E and I are going to watch her daddy play in an Ultimate Frisbee tournament for his first time ever. I am hoping for it to be some quality time with each other and with some great friends of ours. I am praying that God will grant us rest and rejuvenation in the midst of being on the road yet again for the fifth weekend in a row. I am also looking forward to recommitting to a year of even more intentionality in 2010, as my husband and I continue to evaluate our priorities and the "stuff" we are involved in!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate, Jess...it is a struggle for us as well to make time for everyone and everything that is important to us! I was hoping that things slow down a little bit after you have kids, but I guess that's not the case at all. Have fun at the tournament this weekend, and thanks again for sharing your life with me through your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete