Tuesday, July 21, 2009

And That's What (Some) Little Girls Are Made Of...

I remember, as a young girl, receiving an invitation in the mail one day to "Junior Cotillion." After asking my mom what it was, I promptly ripped it to shreds and threw it in the trash, claiming that I would not be learning how to sip tea, set a dinner table and ballroom dance. It was a value statement then, for sure (apologies to all those Cotillioners out there!), but as a pretty literal 11-yr-old, I just couldn't foresee in my future a need to be educated in the social graces of this world (to this day, I still don't have a clue what went on in those classes, but I could use a little help in the social graces arena!).

I often wonder about E, what kind of a girl she is becoming, not only in a spiritual sense, but also if she'll like Barbies and play house, if she will scale rocks or climb mountains like her daddy. If I'll have to hide my amusement in the same way my mom probably did when she rips up an invitation to learn ballroom dancing.

Not that I have a real preference for one skill set over another...I'm really just quite curious to see what specific gifts and traits God gives my cheerful, light-hearted, easy-going little baby. One thing's for sure: if this video is any indication, we're going to need a whole lot more lessons in social graces!


2 comments: