Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wrecked

Tonight I am sitting in a condo on Myrtle Beach, watching the sunset through the sliding door, and pondering the events of the past 24 hours. Let's just say it's been a little different than I anticipated.

We were a little behind schedule Friday night as we headed out for the beach, and E was just starting to doze right at 10pm, a full two hours past her usual bedtime. I was settling in for another two hours on the road, checking the iPod and securing E's toys away for the remainder of the trip when it felt as though our left rear tire exploded.

I remember looking at my husband and focusing all of my energy on praying that he would be able to maintain control long enough to guide us off the road. I heard screeching tires, but I just kept staring and praying. Without a doubt, God himself guided our car to safety on the side of the interstate, and I quickly realized that it wasn't our tire, but another vehicle that had bumped us while we were driving.

I called 911 to report the accident while my husband stepped out of the car to assess the situation. E, though completely fine, was no longer dozing of course. The driver of the other vehicle was also okay, and I learned soon after that she had fallen asleep while driving. After an hour on the side of the interstate, we moved the vehicles to the nearest exit ramp to more fully calculate the damage done to both vehicles. We took a few pictures, both of the accident and of the first time E has ever stayed up until midnight. These precious smiles were God's way of preparing my heart for the overwhelming sense of despair I felt when we got in the car, finally ready to continue, only to find out that our car battery had been completely drained by the past two hours of activity on the side of the road.


When we finally got back on the road, I was wrecked. I remember thinking that there were probably a lot of Christian women out there who would, at that time, lovingly look at their husbands and tell them how much they admired them for handling the situation so perfectly. I just sat there and cried and wished silently for my daddy, just knowing he would have all the answers if he were here.

In reality though, my God supplied our every need. Looking back on last night, I see how he protected us so completely. It could have easily been much much worse. E was such a trooper. My husband was incredibly capable. And me? God's power was made perfect through my weakness, just as his Word promises.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! What a wonderful blog! Your posts are so inspiring. I will visit back often.

    (Your mom told me all about E's wonderful trip to the mountains. She is such a proud "Nana")

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete