Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Godly Politics

My husband likes to listen to NPR (yes, it's okay to laugh if you know my husband). I tune in with him from time to time, but the beat is so incredibly liberal, it's sometimes hard for my brain to sift through to the facts without absentmindedly integrating their worldviews as well. One thing I regret a little, though, is that fact that I am not more politically informed. On one hand, my ignorance fosters a (false) higher sense of security in this world; on the other, my ignorance paralyzes my ability to take action on moral and spiritual freedoms that are challenged by leaders of this world.

I ran across this quote from C.S. Lewis the other day and have been chewing on it for a while. Reading through some passages from the Old & New Testament about priesthood this morning reminded me of it.
"A great deal of democratic enthusiasm descends from the ideas of people like Rousseau, who believed in democracy because they thought mankind so wise and good that everyone deserved a share in the government. The danger of defending democracy on those grounds is that they’re not true. . . I find that they’re not true without looking further than myself. I don’t deserve a share in governing a hen-roost, much less a nation. . . . The real reason for democracy is . . . Mankind is so fallen that no man can be trusted with unchecked power over his fellows. Aristotle said that some people were only fit to be slaves. I do not contradict him. But I reject slavery because I see no men fit to be masters." (Equality)
One thing is for sure: God's kingdom is not founded upon the principles of democracy. There is One Ruler, and He governs with love, grace and justice. As believers, we don't have the option to rally a minority group to challenge the unfairness of his decisions. We simply have to trust that He knows what is best and has a greater plan than we can ever imagine.

As Christians, our Great Hope is not in our leaders, in our country, in this world. In John, Jesus promises his disciples (after he acknowledges the fact that they finally get Who He is), that they are going to be scattered and face lots of troubles. The take-home message that He gives to them is not to do the best they can to make the world a better place, but to trust him completely and find peace in Him in the midst of the world's troubles.

Lord, remind me each morning to start by putting my hope in You and You alone. Remove any fear or anger that I have toward the things in this world that are outside of my control. May others come to know You by my love, a love that You first modeled for us. Thank for for your promise of eternal security; help me to rest in Your strength and safety!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, if you like C.S. Lewis quote, you should read up on his mentor, G.K. Chesterton. A sample of Chesterton quotes on government:

    "Democracy means rule by the uneducated, while aristocracy means rule by the badly educated."

    ReplyDelete