Saturday, July 18, 2009

Truth Be Told

I think one of the things people have learned to trust about me is I'm a pretty honest person. Though, because I'm rather introverted, I don't always share my honest feelings with people unless they are in the "inner circle" or they point-blank ask. Sometimes this saves me from a lot of awkward moments, other times I think it makes me come across as uncaring. I also hear, from people who are very honest with me, that it can seem as though I don't ever have problems or make mistakes - again, because I never talk about them.

Well, let me set the record straight loud and clear. I am human. I make plenty of mistakes. And I can get very insecure about the mistakes that I do make, so much so that I am nearly always tempted to cover them up as quickly as possible.

Last week, before heading off to the beach, some friends of mine took a few days' vacation. I offered to stop by and tend to their kitties while they were out of town - they were outdoor cats, so the only major job was making sure they had food and water. They left on a Monday morning, and I stopped by to check on them later that evening...and the next time I even thought about it was Thursday morning. YIKES!!

Long story short, one of the cats was indeed missing, and it was decision time. I really, really, really, REALLY tried to come up with something that covered every aspect and shifted blame entirely onto some kind of natural cause. But truth is a cornerstone, especially in regards to our relationship with these friends, and nothing but absolute verity seemed even reasonable. It was a tough phone call, especially when I also had to let them know that one of their pets was missing because of my error. I hate the feeling that I have let someone down.

Two days later, my friend sent me a picture of both kitties eating from the same bowl. As I look back on it, it's crazy to think that I would've been willing to sacrifice the integrity of our friendship for an animal. I was so gripped by the fear that I would momentarily disappoint them with the truth that I was failing to see that a lie would cause lasting destruction. I'm thankful that God won that small battle in me that day. It's evidence of His redemptive work in my heart, and it's encouraging. I'm also thankful for friends like C and W, who encourage my husband and I toward Christ every time we're with them. I've said it before, but just for the record, I am really sorry about the cats, C, but it's been a great lesson. Thank you for rewarding my truthfulness with an overflow of grace, and for being my sister in Christ. We love your kitties, and I'm really glad that R came home!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jessica,
    sunday I got up early to finish my sermon and couldn't resist the beach pictures and then your blog that morning.. my sermon was on Jesus' parable of the master who asked his sons to tend the vineyard and one said "yes" and did not go; the other said "no" and changed his mind... your blog became the centerpiece example not the need to be ashamed of when we fail but of the critical need for us to see the "mess" in the vineyard .. whether we have said yes or no in the beginning... what matters is our eventual realization that God has left us in charge of the "needs" of the vineyard... the cats will always need feeding and always hunger.. if they are not fed they will go elsewhere... the other lesson was that God is always at work in the "yeses" and the "noes," the good intentions and the even the failures to get his work in the vineyard done and teach us how to grow into his faithful workers. Thank you for allowing a peak into your world..we have all been "yes" and "no" brothers and sisters. A. Carol

    ReplyDelete