Monday, July 27, 2009

Weary

Some days being a mom just honestly wears me out. As much as I adore E, the constant need for attention and help is draining on my bones. Even in the moments when I don't feel like I have any more to give, she still requires it. Today has been one of those days.

At the end of days like this, I just want to fall into bed face first as soon as I tuck E in. Forget the laundry, forget the dishes, forget washing my face or brushing my teeth - I just want to give in to the comfort of my pillow.

The other night, my husband and I had a very honest conversation with about love languages. We talked about my love language, "Acts of Service," and why it is so meaningful to me. I think it has a lot to do with this stage of "mommyhood"; having someone come alongside me and help meet the needs and desires of E's heart relieves so much of my daily burden. We also talked about the fact that sometimes "Physical Touch" (his love language) is so aversive to me at the end of a long day simply because I have spent my entire day giving E this critical growth need. It was an interesting conversation, to say the least, but I think it has prompted me to try to communicate my needs more effectively to my husband so that I don't hurt his feelings by being nonresponsive to his TLC. He's so dedicated to doing everything he can to love me like Christ, and he does it really well!

On days like this, if I didn't own a camera, it would be easy to forget the incredible memories and fun we had throughout the day. Of course, I also wouldn't have such incriminating evidence of my slacking parenting standards for the amount of sugar I allow her to consume in one day. Yikes...maybe we'll do better tomorrow on that one.

Playing at the park

Making cookies with mommy

Eating popsicles with the neighbors

Wrestling with Indiana in the grass


2 comments:

  1. Jessica you are doing a wonderful job and are raising a beautiful little person! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar is a good thing and you are suppose to be giving in to her some... she needs you as much as you can give her.
    At school during our moment of silence I pray everyday... Please help me to be a better mother, a better wife, and a better teacher today than I was yesterday.
    Good moms always want to do better tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that you didn't do good today! haha

    ReplyDelete