Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Toe to Toe

During the first year of marriage, I cried...a lot. I was young (22), fresh out of college, new in my career, and ready to have somebody to curl up next to every night and scare away the boogie man. I was not ready for smelly laundry, three times the grocery bill, and not being able to leave our pint-sized loft apartment every time I got mad.

Really bad communication skills (me) + unbearably high expectations of what a husband should do and shouldn't do (me again) = lots of crying (once again, me).

Tonight I was reminded tonight of how very far God has redeemed us from that pit. With the guidance of some really incredible married folks, lots of prayer, time, the iMarriage series by Andy Stanley, and the supernatural patience of my husband, we have come a really long way. He still has really smelly socks, and I still am uncovering hidden, self-serving expectations in my heart. But in the midst of all that, God drops nights like tonight in our laps - nights where we sit toe to toe on top of the washer and dryer, and we talk until we're so tired that neither one of us can see straight. Then we laugh until it hurts because it's only 9pm. I love that my husband carries so many incredible qualities, but tonight I just love that he's my greatest and dearest earthly friend.

1 comment: