Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Best Things in Life AREN'T Free

After spending some time with some other really fun couples tonight (ALL without babies of their own...except for a few dogs that think they are babies), I've realized that maybe the best things in life aren't really free after all. I guess it all depends on what your currency is.

There are times I think about how life might be easier if I were single or even just married without kids. My husband and I, because we're still on the younger side of married life, have many friends that haven't yet started down the road of raising babies, and life sometimes seems rather uncomplicated for them. Date nights, sports, even last-minute plans with other friends are easy to arrange, without much thought. Whereas, a night out with E always requires at least a full day of pre-planning, if it's to go off without a hitch (and even then, it rarely does).

But as I sit here tonight and think about our evening, I can't imagine my life any other way. I can't imagine life without the laughter and squeals, and the unbelievably sweet smiles. I can't imagine going a day without those little arms wrapping tightly around my neck for protection from her daddy who is coming to "get her." I can't imagine not knowing what it feels like to have fake tears cause me to burst into laughter or real tears break my heart into. There's just absolutely no way on earth I can imagine not being a "mommy."

Parenthood comes at a steep, steep price. You sacrifice time, money, friends, opportunities, money, dates, sleep, money, events, self, and then a little bit more money. In God's timing, though, when He opens that door for you to walk through, He makes each sacrifice more than worth it. For each time you feel jaded by the fact that others have a little more freedom and flexibility than you, he pours blessing after blessing over your head within those four walls of your life. And the memories we are making...absolutely priceless!!







3 comments:

  1. PRECIOUS videos and photos...and your thoughts are so true.
    Isn't it interesting, as you look at the kids you serve through your work, to think that their parents have missed it--in terms of the great reward that comes with the great sacrifice? I used to think it was always their self-centeredness that led to squandering their shot at parenthood. The longer I parent I realize the power of strongholds in their life that would enable them to give this up. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Children require so much of you, but in return produce such an unexplainable joy. They truly are a blessing from God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention that the pics above were taken by Nathan Maloney when they were over for dinner the other night...aren't they great!?! He's doing a photo shoot for us on Labor Day - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete