Monday, August 10, 2009

August Heat

My grass is dying. My flowers need CPR. I have poison ivy that itches maddeningly whenever I walk outside. My dog chases a ball a max of three times before losing interest. My husband went for a bike ride today and likened it to standing in front of a giant hair dryer on the hot setting. E has 15 mosquito bites on her...just from today. My car's A/C is on strike. My hair looks great...until I walk out the front door. I break out into a sweat as soon as I crawl under the covers at night. The temperature gauge at the bank read 100 degrees for the first time yesterday.

August in the South is here, and like always this time of the year, I'm in constant limbo between spending every moment perspiring while watching my yard fade to brown or spending every last penny of our paycheck on electricity and water and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment