Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Choir

I love going to a church with a choir, for the simple reason that I love watching people truly worship. Nothing gets me more excited about how awesome our God is than to watch other people truly celebrate it, live it, feel it, until it overflows so much that I can’t help but catch that feeling too. It’s incredible.

I had that experience this past Sunday at my grandparents’ church. One man in the choir who I just knew was singing solely for His Creator God. I would glimpse up at him during the singing just to peek at God being glorified. It felt a little taboo, but I just couldn’t help it.

Then, right before the preacher came up, this same man from the choir walked on the main stage and grabbed a microphone. And I sat on the edge of my chair in anticipation. To be honest, he didn’t have a voice like Frank Sinatra. And the sound system wasn’t stellar, so when he hit a note really loud, it kind of made you jump in your chair out of shock. But I swear to you – he believed every single word he sang. It was so real, and so focused on Jesus, that all you could do was think about Jesus too.

I love it when choir members “get it” that they are like the angels that are in heaven forever praising God. That they go before us to the throne, and reflect the glory of God in their faces so that we, the congregation members – who woke up late, dropped pancake batter on the floor, let the dog clean it up, realized too late that their clothes needed to be ironed, then showed up at church with a child without shoes on – can be ushered in the presence of God where we are able to leave behind all that other stuff and just focus on Him.

1 comment:

  1. I love this picture you just painted in my mind, through this story. I didn't grow up in a church with a choir, and have never been in a church with a choir, but I absolutely love how you just explained this!

    ReplyDelete