Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Day At Home

Today E and I stayed in our PJ's until 4:30pm - definitely a record for us. A combination of the rain outside, some good books, and the impending fall weather made for a really lazy Saturday. It was a blast - I really cannot remember the last time we haven't had to be somewhere all day.

I'm trying to be strategic about giving E the gift of being secure with "alone" time. Today was a good opportunity for that, seeing as how she and I were home alone, and I had a really good book that I wanted to spend some time in.

So, I sat her down on the couch next to me, picked out a stack of books that I figured were likely to grab her attention for oh...maybe...3 minutes, and then sat down next to her with my novel. She picked out the first book, opened it up on her lap next to me, and I starting smiling to myself, proud of what a great idea I had just had.

THEN she started "reading." Out loud. With the loudest voice she could manage, she was literally shouting the words she made up as she flipped through the pages. It took about thirty seconds before I totally lost my composure. She read that way for about three minutes before moving on to something else. I wish I'd had a video, but the moment was literally over before I could even think about it.

Oh well. Maybe next time, we'll work on reading silently. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment