Monday, September 28, 2009

Foolish "Wisdom"

I've been tossing around some thoughts about wisdom and foolishness for a few days now, and just yesterday morning, my husband and I had a moment to sit down and talk through some of these things.

I'm a very logical, black and white person in most cases, especially when it comes to morality, and I don't always value my husband's point of view the way that I know would honor God. I'm working on it - the challenge lies in the fact that we see through severely different lenses, not because I intentionally mean to disrespect him. Not only do I want to change, I need to change - I'm certain one of the reasons that God brought us together is so that I can conform more to Christ by learning to value others' viewpoints.

So I was thinking about wisdom and foolishness. Thinking that I could name quite a few times when I felt L was making a foolish decision (and I - because I am more logical by nature - was able to see the folly in it). Remembering how I thought I was simply doing him a favor and helping him to be more wise - more "Christ-like" - by offering my point of view to him.

This morning I felt God's spirit prompting me to see a third point of view - one I had not ever considered.


Proverbs 1:7 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Not logic. My kind of wisdom (logic) becomes hypocrisy if I try to pass it off as Godly wisdom. I cannot tell my husband that he did not make a wise decision simply because it wasn't logical, because wisdom doesn't begin with logic - wisdom begins with fearing God.

Simply put: when we make a decision based off our own point of view without seeking God first, no matter what the outcome, we are not making a wise choice. We may be making a logical choice, an informed choice, an easy choice, a sacrificial choice, a difficult choice - but it cannot be wise unless it is a choice rooted in the will and the Word of God.

1 comment: