Monday, September 7, 2009

Moose Tracks

I was making a dessert today which involved Mayfield Moose Tracks ice cream, and had a momentary flashback to a time in my life where things weren't quite so "illuminated" in regards to my future. My then-boyfriend (now-husband) and I were in the aftermath of a really tough break-up, and I was having a tough time getting a handle on what exactly God was doing in my life.

It was late at night, and I was sleepless and in a somber mood, thinking about all that had transpired in the relationship and wondering what in the world was going to happen between us. I went hunting in the dorm for something sweet and stumbled upon a carton of Mayfield Moose Tracks ice cream in the kitchen.

It wasn't mine, but it was perfect. I took it back to the Commons area, sat in the middle of the couch, turned on a really sappy movie, ate all the peanut butter cups out of the ice cream and cried until I had no more tears left. Then I put the leftover ice cream (with no peanut butter cups left) back into the freezer. It was a totally heathen thing to do, and I never confessed to the true owner of the ice cream. In fact, it's been my secret until now...

I look back on it and wonder just exactly how amused God was at my ridiculously young and immature self. I hope he was laughing at me, sitting in my puddle of tears stuffing my face with Moose Tracks peanut butter cups, wondering if "life would ever be okay again." It's amazing how quickly we humans lose sight of the bigger picture, forgetting that every single piece of broken glass fits into the huge stained-glass window that he is making from our shattered hopes and dreams.

To this day, a carton of Moose Tracks makes me laugh, and reminds me how incredibly BIG our God is. To my friend to once owned a carton of Moose Tracks ice cream with no peanut butter cups...I am truly sorry!!

5 comments:

  1. So, thats where my Moose Tracks went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think M was graduated at that time. :) But maybe they were mine. jk I think everything in that Kitchen was free game...or atleast that was my motto. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh...your not the only one who "shared" other people's food at times! Hey, if you didn't want someone to eat it, you were suppose to keep in your fridge in your room, right? And no it wasn't my Moose Tracks. Who would put that in the common freezer anyway? That would be a gonner for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Jesus must have put it there just for you Jess. :)

    ReplyDelete