Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Terrible Two's

Thinking of this makes me laugh. Out loud. I love this age - it is far from terrible. Granted, she's not quite two yet, and I'm sure I've definitely got more attitude coming my way, but to be honest - I am now in a place where I am humored 24/7 by a three foot tall mongrel. And I love it.

Today, I am noticing that more and more "two-ish" behaviors have emerged in my little one. In order, starting with my favorite, they are:

1) Repeating everything I'm saying. Even the not-so-great stuff. The other day, after knocking over a stack of magazines, she looks at them, looks up at me and says, "Crap." That one I'm blaming exclusively on her father, though. ;)

2) Whole-body tantrums. It's as if their little bodies are not yet big enough to hem in the great emotion they feel when something doesn't go their way, and in an effort to communicate this overwhelming surge of energy, they must fall to the floor and flail like a balloon that has been untied, yet with lots of air still inside. Hysterically funny to me. Not a good idea to laugh, though. Trust me.

3) Clothing preferences. The inability to communicate this one usually leads to #2 above. We had one this morning over jeans (Anybody in need of size 18-24 month jeans? 'Cause we're not wearing them here). We had one the other morning over shoes (Anybody in need of size 6 tennis shoes? Only Crocs here, folks).

4) Obsession with the lovie. Until now, it's just been a prop. Now it's an "I've got to have it or I die" thing. Totally and completely annoying, and is testing this mama's patience more than any of the above behaviors. They nearly ended up in the trash the other day, if not for the saving grace of E's Nana. They might yet still make their way there, though...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe how much Rachel and Elle are alike. Rachel is doing the exact same things...although she does like an array of shoes and jeans. =)This child loves clothes!! They are the same size in clothes and shoes...that is too cute!
    My mother always says "The Terrific Twos"....I'm sure that's not what she called it when me & my brother were two. =) But I too am delighting in this age with her.....It's amazing how much she understands and communicates, yet she is so tiny. We've got to get together and compare "notes". ;)
    ((You're such a great mom Jessica!))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! The other day I pulled out the camera to take a picture of Savannah just for the outfit. Purple flowery shirt and pink and black polka-dot stretch pants. You think if we let them pick their clothes now they will let us pick them out when they are teenagers? Sounds like a good deal to me :)

    ReplyDelete