Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Little More Marriage, Please



We've had a very full week, as I look back on it, but it's been full of the goodness of God in the midst of all of our busyness. We've used four babysitters in the past five days - a habit I am definitely not accustomed to! But all in all, God has used this week to stretch our little family just a little bit more, growing us all into who He most certainly intends for us to be.

Tomorrow, my husband and I will enlist a babysitter once again, as we begin the first of an 8-week series focused on strengthening and encouraging marriages in our community. Every Sunday night for the next two months, we are committing to leave E home (with an awesome sitter) in order to prioritize each other and give God an opportunity to deepen our commitment to one another. I'm looking forward to the many ways He is going to both challenge us and bless us in these moments.

Apparently, my post about Marriage vs. Parenting struck a chord with many people in the same boat. I will be the first one to admit that it is sometimes really hard to serve my husband in the way I know that God intends, simply because my intensely strong history of serving myself grabs hold of my heart and head when I am not being intentional about my actions. We all have our struggles; letting my husband know that I respect him, that I admire him, that I am proud of him is simply one of mine.

So I am praying to become a wife of noble character. I am praying that I will be open to my husband's deep pleasure in me. I am praying that I will be responsive to his pursuit of me. I am praying for an ever-increasing love for him. Even more so, I am praying for an increase in all of these things in my relationship with my first love, Jesus Christ, so that I may learn from him all that I want to know more fully in my relationship with my husband.

(Note: This is certainly not a suggestion that our marriage is in crisis. We are so blessed, and he is absolutely without a doubt my best friend in the whole world, a better husband than I could have ever dreamed of, and the perfect dad for E's tender little spirit. I simply have this unexplained burning in my heart that there is more out there for us than what we currently have, and I want it!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment